Tuesday, May 6, 2014

Trail Life

A few words to describe today:  cold, colder, cold water, blue sky, red rock, sun, warmth, and Jiffy salted caramel hazelnut chocolate spread.  The Gila river canyon reminds me also of the red river gorge in KY.  It was a beautiful day, not as hot, but hard in the morning putting on wet shoes and plunging across the river again and again.  
A couple of times the trail climbed above the river which was a nice change of pace.  The hazelnut spread belongs to Pounce and tasted deeelicious in my granola bar & added some much needed calories.  Shortly after the lunch break I crossed the river and saw a strange brown lump that looked alive.  Was it a pile of logs?  Was I seeing things?  It breathed.  It had beady eyes looking at me.  I whispered loudly at Pounce to look.  Then it moved.  Fast.  It was a Javelina (wild pig) who wanted nothing to do with us but seemed to check us out.  One of our friends, Inspector Gadget saw a mountain lion.  We've also seen some colorful and interesting birds.
We finally arrived at Doc Campbell's outpost where I picked up my resupply box.  I have lots of treats in my box.  
The post is by the hot springs and the Gila cliff dwellings which we will go see tomorrow on our way out.  We're camping tonight at the hot spring campground where we soaked in the cold river water to soothe the scratches on our legs and the hot springs to sooth our sore muscles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment