Monday, May 12, 2014

Dirt Road Walkin

It got down to 20 degrees last night.  I had all of my layers on buried in my sleeping bag and was still cold.  So it took us two hours to pack up our stuff.  Finally we headed out.  We saw Stride and Wantsome right away.  They didn't take the route we did but stayed on the river.  Stride said they crossed it over 100 times and that it was rough going.  So we were happy we'd not done it.  This morning we had a little bit of trail and a lot of road walking.  We walked through a small canyon with a creek and then across a huge plain with no trees.  
There was a dark rain cloud in the distance so we hustled to get across it in case it came our way.  After that it was a road walk through a piney forest.  
The weather couldn't make up its mind.  It'd be cloudy and cold then sunny and warm, repeat.  I love my arm warmers.  I'd push them down to my wrists when it warmed up then pull them back up when cold.  We even got snowed on although there was a lot of blue sky.  We got worried about water.  We were getting low, one of our possible sources was dry, and we weren't going to make it to the next one. And then two miles later we rounded a corner and there was a small creek.  Pounce and I screamed and did the happy dance.  Water.  So we tanked up and found a spot up high to camp.

No comments:

Post a Comment