Monday, May 12, 2014

Pie Town

It was a nice morning for a walk into town.  With only 6 miles to go we weren't in a big hurry, but we were hungry.  First stop, Nita's Toaster House.  This is an old house for hikers, named for the old toasters hanging off the gate.  
There are a lot of hikers here!  Several got here over the weekend and had to wait for the post office to open.  So I saw Tickled Pink, LB, my Portland friends Xana and Paniorama, the group I've been leap frogging with, and the group from England who I started with.  The cafe opened at 10 am and we went there next.  They were not serving breakfast and had a limited menu but the food was delish.  I had a 1/2 pound green chili cheeseburger with fries and a slice of New Mexico apple pie.  That's apple pie with green chilis and pine nuts in it.  I was also happy, very happy for the wifi as there is only 1 bar for phone.  Pie Town has two cafés, the Pie-O-neer and the one we ate at, a post office, and tiny mercantile with snacks & souvenirs.  
Next we got a ride to the Top of the World store to do laundry and get food to supplement our resupply boxes.  Now the store is three miles away.  We did not want to walk.  So we hitched.  No cars. In 20 minutes only a school bus and a car went by.  Then came a white truck and it was obviously not going to stop, driving fast.  When it was abeam of me I tugged on my pink hat and "screech" brakes squealing, it stopped.  We had a ride from some guys doing work near the CDT.  They were from Kalispell, MT and very nice.  "We don't usually see ladies hitching on the side of the road" they said.  Then finally a shower, dinner, socializing, and bed.  I'm tired!!

No comments:

Post a Comment