Sunday, May 18, 2014

Introspection

My hike got off to a rough start.  I got sick, hiked alone for a week, was homesick, wasn't "feeling it", and my heart wasn't in it.  I didn't understand why.  I'd been wanting to hike this trail for two years and here I was!  Why wasn't my heart in it?  In hindsight there were many contributing factors including preconceived ideas since this wasn't my first through hike.  Once I threw it all out the window, kept an open mind and found my "people", it started getting better.
A few mornings ago I woke up with a memory of my sister Lori and I playing "let's explore" with Cheetah and Rufus (stuffed animals).  It brought a smile to my face and gave my heart a profound flip.  Instead of a groan at the hard section ahead I felt anticipation.  This trail is all about exploration.  It's not one continuous path.  It's multiple routes.  Pick one.  Pounce has been telling me about an alternate route through Yellowstone.  The official route cuts the western corner and follows the Idaho/Montana border.  The route we want to do goes through the eastern part of the park by Cody and reconnects with the CDT near Helena.  It's more scenic, passes through some cool towns, and is a tad shorter.  I'm soo excited about this plan!  And the whole trail is this way which appeals to my sense of adventure. I've found my groove, gotten into the rhythm of trail life, getting stronger every day, and falling in love with the CDT.  This is fun!
How to filter yucky cow water:  1. Pour water through bandanna several times to remove floaties.  2.  Treat with bleach or chlorine tabs.  3.  Squeeze through filter.  4.  If really bad boil the heck out of it after above steps.
The End

2 comments:

  1. I like it. Trail life as a metaphor for Life. And, from time to time we all have to filter yucky cow water.

    Keep it up. Your trailsteps are awesome to follow, I hope to do this trail when I retire. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exploring with you and letting our imaginations run wild was so much fun! Some of the best memories of my life. I love you sis. Let the adventures begin:)

    ReplyDelete