Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Ghost Ranch

As I was packing up this morning I started to think about where I could dig a cathole.  And then I remembered.  There is a privy!  It was the cleanest, nicest smelling privy I've ever experienced and it made me smile.  We road walked the morning into Ghost Ranch Conference Center.  This is a facility owned by the Presbyterian church and is the place where Georgia O'Keefe had a home and created many of her paintings.  There is a campground, dining hall, museums, library, horse back riding and a pool.  It's a very relaxing spot and while phone reception is poor, there is wifi.  There is laundry and showers too.  
As we were walking this morning the following popped in my head and I had to stop and quickly write it down in my notes:  I'm five days from Colorado.  There have been trials and tears, joy and wonder.  It has been challenging both physically and mentally.  That's a thru hike.  But all the moments of beauty when strung together turn the hard times to dust blown away by the wind and forgotten.  
Sleeping Bare is here and he fired up his grill and cooked elk burgers and hot dogs for all the hikers here.  
It's Pounce and I, LB and Tickled Pink, Spit Walker, and Mellow.  It's always fun to catch up with everyone.  Birdy is here too, but is staying in town.  Her daughters showed up and surprised her.  Really cool.  

1 comment:

  1. Awesome. Please say hi to LB for me. Following you every step of the way!!!

    ReplyDelete