Thursday, May 1, 2014

Road Walk to Silver City

It was a long road walk into Silver City.  7 miles on Tyrone road followed by 12 alongside Hwy 9.  Marmot and Trail Dog were just getting up when I left camp.  I'm sure I will see them again.  I passed the Tyrone mine on the way in.  
While walking along the highway a bright yellow jeep pulled off the road ahead of me and I saw an arm stick out the window with a bottle of water.  It was a trail angel from Lordsburg who has been leaving water for the hikers.  It was a great surprise and energized me. 
I'm really happy to be in Silver City.  The trail has been kicking my butt.  I've shed a few tears, stood on a ridge soaking up the view and shouting "I will triumph!" (borrowed from a Meg Ryan movie), and smiled at little pleasures like water in the desert or a great campsite.
I had emailed a Silver City trail angel before leaving Lordsburg.  Dean and his wife picked me up at the post office, showed me where to stay, and gave me the keys to the car for my town duties.  So laundromat and grocery shopping.  I ran into Nick, Fae, Gary, and Chris at Walmart.  They hiked in yesterday and took today off.  So I brought them back here with me.  We have the whole lower level of the house to ourselves an a separate entrance.  It's awesome!!  I've done poorly with pictures and will start taking more.

No comments:

Post a Comment