Monday, May 5, 2014

Gila!

I don't know where to begin?  How do I condense to a few lines what today was like?  I often compose as I walk but there was so much I lost track.  We caught up with the rest of the group right away.  The trail reminded me of Utah.  There were pine trees, rock spires, hills and water.  The morning sun turned the cliffs golden. For the first time the trail climbed high.  I was slow because I don't have my uphill legs yet but I was also huffing & puffing.  Then I realized why.  We were above 7,000 feet.  From high on the ridge we could see the valley and other mountain ranges.
 Then the trail descended.  Down, down, more down and then.. the Gila river!  It's a wonderful river canyon that the gila snakes through and the trail crosses and recrosses it some 59 times before our next trail stop.
 So we just plunged right in, no taking shoes off.  We even soaked in it.  The cold water felt great as it's been close to 90 degrees.
 We're camped under some trees on the river bank.  It was a blast today.  Some tough walking and slow going but still a blast.  

No comments:

Post a Comment