Thursday, May 1, 2014

Lost and Found

What a day!  The morning went by quickly and I made good time.  But then the trail started climbing and I slowed to the pace of a turtle.  The terrain changed from high desert hills to pine forest to rocky to a grass land with huge clumps of long grass and repeat. I was treated to some great vistas from the ridges but because of blowing dust it was too hazy for a good picture.  Even though its a marked trail now I still had to remain vigilant.  Twice I got off trail corrected it and continued.  The third time was bad but could have been much worse.  I'd been following signed trail but it didn't feel right.  Then coming towards me down the trail was a couple of hikers.  People!  It was CDT Marmot and Trail Dog.  "Don't go this way, it's wrong" they said.  So we back tracked a mile to Tyrone road.  We should have turned right on the road but a big CDT sign & a pretty trail said straight.  Wrong.  We are on trail now and lesson learned.  Due to trail building which continues, don't always trust a CDT sign.  It's great to have company.  We are camped together and they shared their dinner of Cous Cous and ramen with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment