Sunday, April 20, 2014

Rest Day

We finally made it to Lordsburg at three in the morning. By 330 I was asleep at the Econo Lodge.  Lordsburg is a small town, and on Easter Sunday everything but McDonalds and Dollar General was closed.  Fortunately I have everything I need.
I was disappointed to learn I missed some friends who left early this morning. However, I'm very happy to be starting tomorrow with a good group of hikers.  It will be Neal, Fae, and Chris from England, and Gary from Montana.  All  of them but Fae have hiked the PCT.  We've been told some hikers have had trouble from the exposure and lack of water and to plan accordingly.  I feel prepared though with my trekking umbrella and electrolyte supplements.  
I've been reading, relaxing, and looking out at the landscape.  In town there are green shrubs and trees sprouting up amongst the houses and businesses.  But beyond its brown and barren with mountains, small ones breaking up the landscape in the distance.
I'm feeling excited and eager but taking full advantage of this opportunity to rest.  I'm also drinking LOTS of water today in order to be well hydrated for tomorrow.  

2 comments:

  1. Exciting start! Glad you were able to meet up with a nice group. Stay safe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am familiar with Lordsburg, having landed there a number of times on flights between Phoenix and Dallas. It's not all brown as you head north, depending on the elevation. I think Bear Mountain has a lot of forested area. Good luck! Looking forward to you dispatches.

    ReplyDelete