Monday, April 28, 2014

Cross Country

I'm back on the trail and it feels great!  The temperature was in the low 70s with a strong wind.  It was too windy for the umbrella but I sw fine without it.  The trail started out easy to follow and I made good time.  It went into the hills and entered a canyon which became a green walkway with ochre colored hills on my left and rocky cliffs on my right.  I saw two jack rabbits.  
But then it came out onto the flat open plain and became a puzzle.  No trail.  Just head in the right direction and look for cdt signs.  I filtered my first on trail water.  It was in a tire.
 I ate lunch at the hwy 113 water cache and signed the register.  The wind picked up and it was tiring walking against it so I put in my earphones and listened to music the rest of the afternoon.  A friend told me that I should hike the day and not the miles, so when I came across a wash with a shrub lined embankment, I knew I'd found my camping spot.  It was early, only 6:30, but it's so windy and exposed that I knew I'd not find another protected spot.  I haven't seen anyone all day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment