Saturday, April 19, 2014

Journey to the Trail

It finally sunk in, I'm hiking the CDT!  I flew to Phoenix and then on to El Paso.  When I got there I grabbed my pack from baggage claim, walked outside, and noticed 3 people with packs waiting on the sidewalk.  "Excuse me, are you guys hiking the CDT?" I asked.  Sure enough, they were.  They are from England.  Then my uncle drove up, the four of us piled into the car and we went to his house where my aunt had fixed a nice lunch.  Then back in the car, a stop at Walmart for fuel, and on to the Greyhound station.
Then the real adventure began.  Well our bus broke down in Las Cruces.  Seven hours later we're still here but a replacement is on the way. We aren't strangers anymore my fellow travelers and I.  We've all bonded over this, shared stories, and helped each other out.  The best stories come from hardship.  It's not the five star hotel, it's the rat infested hut and difficulties overcome that have the drama.  So, for a trail with a motto of "Embrace the Brutality" I should have lots of good stories.  It's alright!

1 comment:

  1. Cool. Glad you met up with people right from the start. Funny how the trail works. I'm looking forward to your adventures.

    ReplyDelete