Thursday, April 17, 2014

It's Around the Corner

I got an email from Southwest Airlines saying "your trip is around the corner".  And so it is.  Two days in fact.  I fly out Saturday and a post in my blog is long overdue.  I've been busy with work, visiting friends and family, solving last minute gear problems, and training.  The result is that I ditched my solar charger and got a jackareel external battery charger instead.  It's half the weight of my Goal Zero, not to mention the dilemma of how to charge a solar panel while carrying an umbrella.  Another challenge was figuring out how to attach my umbrella to the shoulder strap of my backpack so my hands are free to use my trekking poles.  A little research and assembly later I have a system that will work.  Yes!  On the training front, I've been loading up my pack and hiking in Forest Park.  Last weekend, instead of a strenuous hike in the gorge I went to the Oregon coast with friends and did a gentle 5 mile hike to a beautiful lookout over the ocean.  After the hike we took advantage of the low tide to harvest mussels on the beach, and cook them over  a fire. There were also tons of yellow, orange, purple and brown starfish clinging to the rocks along the shore.  So we christened it starfish beach.  It was perfect.  My body will adapt and condition in the 5 months spent hiking, but a visit to the coast is rare.  

Tomorrow is my last day of work and while my feet are tingling in anticipation, I will miss my work family.   It's been a great place to be.  I've been really lucky to work in a medical building.  My chiropractor, Cheryl Gross, primary care doctor Char Glenn, and Accupuncurist Jeff Olson are all here.  They along with my PT Jim Arnoux have helped me be in good shape for the CDT.  They are awesome!

I added another non profit tab to my blog.  The Oasis Project is working towards ending sex trafficking which is a big problem in the US and around the world.  Simply raising awareness of the problem can make a difference.  If my hike and this blog can make a difference however small for them and my other featured non profit, Oregon Active in any way, I am pleased.  

Regular posts will now commence.  It is time to document and share another wild and beautiful trail!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck - I'm interested to see how the umbrella works out! Stay hydrated and no flying! ;)

    ReplyDelete