Monday, June 2, 2014

Wildlife

I have a new favorite trail snack.  It's Trader Joe's flattened dried banana with chocolate hazelnut spread.  Soo good!  We have been consistently hiking above 10,000 feet, even a bit at 11,000 and I'm loving it.  The altitude hasn't been bothering me too much, just a slight headache at the end of the day.  We've been seeing a lot if wildlife  - elk, antelope, deer, pronghorn, and a bear.  The coyotes like to start talking to each other at dusk.
 We were awakened in the middle of the night by a bloodcurdling cry that sounded like an animal was getting murdered.  It was a little freaky and I sat up and had to make sure my food was all in its odor proof bags.  It was hard to fall back asleep.  Pounce was visited by a creature during the night and it chewed a hole in her tent netting and the strap off one of her hiking poles.  We've seen snow in the trees and on north facing snows but nothing that affected our hiking.  Plenty ahead though!  I've been so tired at night I got behind on my blog.  It's been fun to see other hikers on the trail for a change and we've been leap frogging some friends from the PCT.  
And then the trail likes to give you a surprise every now and then.  This orange chair was just sitting there on the side of the trail.

No comments:

Post a Comment