Thursday, June 26, 2014

Loving These Mountains

We've been hiking in the Gunnison National Forest.  While most of the day was in the trees we had some amazing views throughout.  
It was well signed trail that went up and down and around but nothing was too steep.  It was rocky in places but otherwise easy walking.  It's awesome!  There's no snow.  We hiked a lot more miles today then planned because of it.  Colorado likes it's afternoon thunderstorms.  Right after lunch the clouds darkened, there was a boom and a flash, and then .. snow pellets.  That was it for any electrical in the system.  The rest of the afternoon was just on and off drizzle.  It made it hard to figure out layering.  It was too warm to keep the rain jacket on very long.  

When the snow leaves, the mosquitos come.  So for the first time I wore my bugnet and sprayed myself.  In spite of the rain it really was an enjoyable day and I'm glad we get to experience these mountains.  I had my doubts .  

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful. Seems like different, wilder terrain every time you turn around.

    ReplyDelete