Thursday, June 19, 2014

Hotel Privy

The wind is howling and beating against the door of my cement block structure.  I'm hunkered down in the men's pit toilet while Pounce is sheltered in the women's.  It was really only a matter of time.  Every long distance hiker sleeps in a privy at least once.  We are at a recreational area reservoir 18 miles out of Rawlins.  We left late morning, stopped at an outdoor store and the post office.  We met a nice guy named Rocky who asked if he could buy us lunch and we accepted.  His family just suffered a tragedy.  His brother died and the family scattered his ashes yesterday in the mountains south of Rawlins.  I think he appreciated our company and we certainly enjoyed the lunch and talking with him.  While there, Trail Dog, Marmot, and another hiker came in.  The last time I saw them was Silver City. After reading me and Pounce's blog posts they decided to come to Wyoming also. It was after one pm when we finally started walking.  We road walked all afternoon to this reservoir and the wind was blowing strong all day.  By the time we got here though the temperature had dropped and the wind got even stronger.  It would be impossible to set up the tents and I'm not sure my tent would withstand it.  So, we are thankful for the four walls and roof.  I have my backpack and rain pants blocking the door vents that let in wind.  This is crazy!  The boys in our group took a different route.  Sailor was sick in the night and this morning so her and Alfredo are staying another night in Rawlins.  We will all rendezvous in Encampment.

No comments:

Post a Comment