Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Yellowstone Part I

We hiked the southeastern portion of the park yesterday.  This morning we were only five miles from Eagle Pass and the park boundary.  We had only hiked a few miles when we saw a familiar tent followed by familiar people.  It was Nugio and his friend Firepit.  So of course we had to stop and catch up.  They are doing a circumnavigation hike of the park.  It was surprising and random to see them but good fun.  Sleeping Bare is at a campground in the RV.  The trail climbed the pass and then was a very long and at times steep descent.  It followed the Eagle Creek river which turned out to be a beautiful river canyon and valley.  
Sometimes we were high above it and sometimes low in the meadows.  We had to ford it a few times.  The good weather we'd been graced with the last two days ended and we got a bit of rain but nothing bad.  I haven't gotten used to the bad weather but I've come to accept it.  I can't quite. "Embrace the brutality" but I can make friends with it.  After all the trail always wins!  I'm doing ok.  
We made it to the road at 6:30 and only had to wait five minutes for a ride to Cody.  Yay!  I'm so excited.  I've been looking forward to it.  We are taking two zeros here because I need the post office in Gardiner.  Rather than be stuck there over the weekend we will enjoy Cody.

No comments:

Post a Comment