Saturday, August 9, 2014

Adventures in Hitchhiking

I retrieved my gps from the post office first thing this morning.  It feels great to have it back as I have felt naked without it.  It was time to stick out my thumb then and hope for the best.  Lander is 150 miles north of Encampment. My first ride was a retired couple that took me ten miles up the road to Saratoga.  Second ride was a gentleman headed to the fair in Rawlins.  He was a retired cowboy who trains border collies for ranchers.  He was competing with them in an agility and herding competition.  In Rawlins I had lunch with Hikeaholic who had hiked in that morning.  It was fun to catch up on his hike and it gave me a little break.  My next ride was in a big rig truck pulling two oil tanks behind it.  That was awesome.  He was on his way to Casper and dropped me off where the road to Lander splits off north.  I went into the gas station to get a soda & use the restroom being sure to display my Lander sign.  A minute later an older woman offered me a ride.  She was almost 70 and on her way to Yellowstone for her own solo adventure.  She told me she had hitch hiked in her 30s and ended up in Taos, NM and called it home.  A really interesting lady.  So I made it to Lander!  Pounce and I are staying the night and will hike out in the morning.  The time alone was good for both of us.  I had a lot of time for introspection.  I made some decisions.  I'm officially declaring myself a section hiker of the CDT.  I will have to get off trail early September to take care of some personal and financial issues including a close friends' wedding.  So my plan is to hike the Wind River range and Yellowstone.  Essentially finish Wyoming and if possible get as far as Helena, MT.  I feel good about this plan.  I also hope to  go to Glacier National Park to meet Pounce at the monument when she completes it.

No comments:

Post a Comment