Sunday, July 6, 2014

The Knife's Edge

I woke up this morning in a rain forest instead of on a mountain.  My tent was dripping with condensation.  The worst I've ever experienced.  We knew we'd get it but still.  
Every long trail seems to have a knife's edge.  Both the PCT and the AT do and today we hiked across the one on the CDT.  In snow conditions it can be very hazardous and not crossed in the morning when it's icy.  It was cool!  
There were a couple of snow patches but they were avoidable.  There were also some sketchy parts to get your heart racing but nothing bad.  The ground dropped away pretty steeply, and it was rocky.
 It was thrilling and beautiful and I was proud of us.  Once down off the edge we took a break and dried out our tent in the sun.  We hiked most of the day on ridges with valleys on either side and panoramic views all around.  
After that it became forest again and grassy slopes.  
The relentless rollercoaster of the last two weeks is taking its toll.  We are both tired and get jello legs by days end but still enjoying these mountains.  I love being up high and I'm starting to enjoy my afternoon naps during the daily thunderstorms.

1 comment:

  1. The fourth picture looks like the ridge near tinkers knob - remember?

    The photos are fantastic.

    ReplyDelete