Sunday, July 6, 2014

Opposites

We dried our tents before hiking out this morning and it worked out well.  Initially it was easier walking and I let my mind wander.  I thought about the contrasts and opposites out here.  About the grassy plains and rocky slopes, granite peaks and valleys, sharp edges and round. But there are also parts that combine elements.  
On a thru hike as in life there are opposites as well of course.  In particular, I've had moments of "I want to go home" and later "I don't want to ever leave!  Most of the time I just walk along trying to soak it all in and enjoy.  
We had a long sustained climb today, the last big one of this section. It seemed easier after that.  After lunch we met a nice section hiker who asked us if we were through hikers.  That made us smile, to be recognized for who we are.  I experienced my first. "hikers high" of the trail where I suddenly felt energized and happy.  Maybe due to a big lunch, maybe the section hiker's hello, or the sign that read "Wolf Creek Pass 12 miles.  And no thunderstorm today!  
Anyways it lasted til the next climb.  We meandered down the trail the last few miles and camped two miles from the pass.  Wow, we did it.  We hiked the San Juan 's.  Awesome. 

1 comment: